Monday, 16 May 2011

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner


 Ummmm...huh? Wait, did I miss something here? Yeah, pretty sure I did. 

Rarely have I ever been so conflicted over a novel.  On the one hand, it was the most challenging and frustrating narrative prose that I have encountered in recent memory and yet, throughout all the hardship of plodding through this fragmented, post-modernist stream-of-consciousness monstrosity, it felt like a rewarding experience -- as if I managed to accomplish something worthwhile and managed to push myself to a new level of literary academia. Or maybe I am just a masochist.

Faulkner's writing style is disorienting and downright baffling in its labyrinth structure but not entirely incomprehensible. The Sound and the Fury is easy enough to follow in terms of narrative framework but the subtext is perplexing. A novel that demands to be read more than once but I remain ambivalent in my willpower to take on such a task.

Rating: ????

Read from April 19th to April 20th, 2011 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment