Thursday 16 January 2020

'Deal Me In' 2020 – A Short Story Reading Challenge!


Woah, it has been over three years since I last posted on this blog! It sure feels good to be back. Certainly, a lot of big changes have happened in my life since then and although my reading habits have fallen by the wayside due to time constraints and other commitments, my passion for literature has never waned. I can't think of a better way to get back into the groove of reading and writing reviews again then to participate in the 10th annual "Deal Me In Challenge" hosted by Jay at Bibliophilopolis! I have taken on this challenge several times over the years (completing it once but fell drastically behind in writing reviews), discovering a much deeper understanding and appreciation for the art of the short story. Considering my busy schedule and reduced attention span, reading short stories seems far less daunting and more manageable under the present circumstances. I'm excited to see what 2020 brings and my goal is to start reading more to revitalize this blog back from the dead. So, without further delay, let's begin!

What is the goal of this challenge?

To read 52 short stories in 2020 (that’s only one per week – versions with a lesser story requirement are noted below)

What do I need?
1) Access to at least fifty-two short stories (don’t own any short story collections or anthologies? See links to online resources below).
2) A deck of cards.
3) An average of perhaps just thirty minutes of reading time each week.
It's fun and not time consuming so what are you waiting for? Join up! 

My four categories this year will be: RandomScience-FictionMurakami + Borges and Women Writers. Additionally, some of my selections are from previous challenges that I never got around to reading. 

Spades: Random

2 - The School by Donald Barthelme
3 - The Lawnmower Man by Stephen King
5 - Where I Live by Kurt Vonnegut
6 - Quiet Please by Aimee Bender
7 - The Landlady by Roald Dahl
8 - Sonny's Blues by James Baldwin
9 - The Skylight Room by O. Henry
J - Red-Headed Baby by Langston Hughes
Q - The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin
K - The Man Who Was Almost a Man by Richard Wright

Clubs: Science-Fiction

A - When it Changed by Joanna Russ
2 - Tideline by Elizabeth Bear
3 - And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill's Side by James Tiptree Jr. 
4 - Jokester by Isaac Asimov
8 - "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman by Harlan Ellison
9 - The Wife's Story by Ursula Le Guin
10 - Non-Zero Probabilities by N.K. Jemisin 
J - Lost Leonardo by J.G. Ballard
Q - The Evening and the Morning and the Night by Octavia Butler

Diamonds: Murakami and Borges (Literature in Translation)

2 - Aleph by Jorge Luis Borges
3 - Dabchick by Haruki Murakami
4 - The Garden of Forking Paths by Jorge Luis Borges
6 - Death and the Compass by Jorge Luis Borges
7 - New York Mining Disaster 1941 by Haruki Murakami
8 - The Immortal by Jorge Luis Borges
9 - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami
J - The Year of Spaghetti by Haruki Murakami
K - The Birthday Girl by Haruki Murakami

Hearts: Women Writers

A - The Possibility of Evil by Shirley Jackson
2 - Significant Moments in the Life of my Mother by Margaret Atwood
3 - Subject to Search by Lorrie Moore
4 - Shopping by Joyce Carol Oates
5 - Don't Look Now by Daphne Du Maurier
8 - The Gilded Six-Bits by Zora Neale Hurston
10 - Gorilla, My Love by Toni Cade Bambara
J - White Rat by Gayl Jones
Q - A Worn Path by Eudora Welty  
K - The Waltz by Dorothy Parker

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back!I understand the busyness of life. Your DMI list has some great stories on it. I can't wait to hear what you think about them - and there are some authors that are new to me. Can't wait to hear about those, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale! I am going to try my best to keep up with the readings and reviews! Stay tuned. :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Jason! I'm so glad to "see" you again! You're wise to try to get back into reading and blogging with small goals. And the Deal Me In Challenge is such

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cleo! Indeed, it is so nice to hear from you and I hope you are doing well. It seems that you have gotten back into the swing of blogging again too and I can't wait to catch up on all of your posts!

      Yeah, I figured it would be best to ease myself back into reading/blogging again by not making the mistake like the last few times by taking on too much. We all know how that ended.

      Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you around more often!

      Delete