Tuesday 23 July 2013

Teaser Tuesdays: The Ballad of Peckham Rye by Muriel Spark

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. The idea is to open your current read to a random page and share a few sentences. And try not to include spoilers! 

Trevor was seen to approach Humphrey and hit him on the mouth. The barmaid said, 'Outside, both of you.' 

Is that an awesome cover or what? Penguin editions rock.

Oh, Muriel Spark, you never fail to make me chuckle. This is a humorous scene because it is totally unexpected.  It's been far too long since I have read anything by her. Not to mention, after recently finishing the dull and laborious A Passage to India by E.M. Forster, I am in the mood for something light and entertaining--so far, Muriel Spark is delivering the goods. She tends to be hit and miss for me but so far, I have a good feeling about this one.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of Spark's novels that I haven't heard of, but I can relate to you're feelings of frustration with Forster after my recent long and annoying trudge through Howard's End. (I vaguely remember liking A Passage to India when I read it years ago, but I'm wondering if a rereading might change my mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Bibliophile, thanks for stopping by! Much like a lot of novels by Spark, this one is very bizarre and contains her usual brand of acerbic wit. It's not ha-ha funny but rather humorous in an droll kind of way.

    I should have a review up of A Passage to India in the next few days but as you already picked up on, it was not to my liking at all. I wrote a review of Howards End a while back (you can find under the review section) and it seems we both share similar attitudes towards it, that of mostly indifference bordering on enmity.

    ReplyDelete