Friday 7 February 2014

The Classics Spin #5


I missed the last four Spin events hosted by the Classics Club so its time to finally participate in one of them. The challenge this time around is to list 20 books left to read from the Classics Club Challenge, which will then become my Classics Spin list. A random number (between 1-20) will be selected on Monday by members running the event and then it is up to participants to read the book corresponding with the chosen number by April 2. Sounds like a hoot! Or it could totally backfire and I have to end up reading one of those intimidating novels on my list like Middlemarch by George Eliot, Swann's Way by Proust or The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoeyevsky. Ok, here we go:
  1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  2. Persuasion by Jane Austen
  3. Swann's Way by Proust
  4. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  5. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
  6. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  7. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
  8. Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
  9. Native Son by Richard Wright
  10. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoeyevsky
  11. Notes from the Underground by Dostoeyevsky
  12. Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf
  13. Orlando by Virginia Woolf
  14. Stoner by John Edward Williams
  15. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez 
  16. Sula by Toni Morrison
  17. The Awakening and Other Stories by Kate Chopin
  18. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  19. North and South by Mary Barton
  20. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
The top 5 most anticipated:
  1. Stoner by John Edward Williams
  2. Orlando by Virginia Woolf
  3. Sula by Toni Morrison
  4. Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf 
  5. Notes from the Underground by Dostoeyevsky 
Happy reading and good luck to everyone participating in the Spin!


4 comments:

  1. Swann's Way! That's heavy. I have it on my shelf and I'm excited about reading it and terrified all at the same time! Woolf is a great writers, isn't she? My favourite so far was To The Lighthouse. I've seen lots of positive comments about Stoner but I know next to nothing about it. Time to do some research! Best of luck on your Spin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got The Brother's K for spin #4 and I'm still only half way through - I put it back on my list as no.6 in the hope it will get picked to help me finish the second half :-)

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great titles here! Orlando, Grapes of Wrath, and Middlemarch are three of my favourite books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! Stoner and East of Eden are all-time favorites

    ReplyDelete