Friday 31 January 2020

Back to the Classics Challenge 2020


Thank you Karen from Books and Chocolate for hosting this reading challenge! Not only will this will be a great opportunity for me to get back into reading the "Classics" again but also to continue writing reviews more frequently. My initial goal when starting this blog back in 2011 was to read as many classics as possible, even joining the Classics Club that proved to be quite rewarding even though I fell short of reading 50 works over the course of five years. Nonetheless, I am hoping to redeem myself with this new challenge and maybe even discover some new favorite classics in the process. 

Here are the 12 categories to choose from and my selections (subject to change): 

1. 19th Century Classic: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

2. 20th Century Classic: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe 

3. Classic by a Woman Author: Orlando by Virginia Woolf

4. Classic in Translation: The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoeyevsky

5. Classic by a Person of Color: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass 

6. A Genre Classic: The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

7. Classic with a Person's Name in the Title: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

8. Classic with a Place in the Title: East of Eden by John Steinbeck

9. Classic with Nature in the Title: TBD.

10. Classic About a Family: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

11. Abandoned Classic: The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

12. Classic Adaptation: North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Happy reading everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you're participating in another challenge! Woo hoo!

    A great list. I absolutely LOVED The Brothers Karamazov, North and South and Anna Karenina. I was hoping to love Orlando, as I did the movie, but as it turns out, not so much. I did like Up From Slavery more than I liked Frederick Douglass as it was much more positive. And I really need to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as I've really neglected reading any of Twain's works. Shame on me! In any case, enjoy your reading ..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo! I'm a little worried that I might be taking on too much but even reading 3-4 novels from this would list would be a success. Brothers K is THICK and kinda scares me. However, I started Anna Karenina and it's pretty good so far. Orlando is the last of Woolf's major works that I need to finish so figured this would be a good opportunity.

      Interesting, I was actually debating between Up From Slavery and Malcolm X, especially after reading the amazing reviews on your blog but went with Frederick Douglass instead mainly because of the shorter length!

      Don't feel bad about not reading Twain, I haven't read much by him either. Huck has been sitting on my shelf for years so hopefully I can get around to reading it!

      Delete