Wednesday 4 January 2023

The Hyannis Port Story by Kurt Vonnegut


The Kennedy estate in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts. 

I read this short story the other night and it has almost completely faded from memory. I am usually a huge fan of Kurt Vonnegut's work but The Hyannis Port Story is a complete dud. It failed to leave any lasting impression and generated nary a single laugh. From what I can recall, the story revolves around a storm window salesman who is hired by some rich politician (only referred to as the Commodore) and happens to be neighbors with the famous Kennedy family's vacation home. There were a few amusing moments such as the narrator thinking that he is receiving a snack bowl at some social event only to find it filled with political campaign buttons instead. Any underlying political commentary went over my head and I still have no idea what Vonnegut is trying to achieve here. 

Skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment